Figures Don't Lie

Many years ago, my Uncle Wes was listening to a political commentary on the evening news. About halfway through the piece he got up, turned the TV off and told me: "Figures don't lie but liars sure can figure" This Blog is dedicated to setting things right about a few of the numbers tossed around in today's political discussions.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bloomington, Minnesota, United States

How old am I? Well, for much of my career, I had a secretary. And, my best secretary could take shorthand.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Correlate This!

The next time someone shows you a graph that purports to explain carbon dioxide as the causes of "Global Warming" or gender discrimination as a cause of salary inequity, just pull out this chart and show them some real correlation. 97%, in fact!


Kudos to Megan McArdle for demonstrating that correlation is not causation.

Or, as we used to say when high schools taught real content: "Oh, that's just a case of the cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home